Dash oddities

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Dash oddities
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 10:41:30 -0400
I have just discovered something I didn't know about, and am wondering when
the change point came...

Having played with the wooden dashboard for my Herald yesterday, I went and
prepared a second one for use, and I notices something different about it...
The one which has been in use in my car has a single woodgrain across the
dash- by this I mean it is one continuous grain, unbroken except for holes,
etc. The sheet of veneer has not been cut. However, the one I stripped,
sanded, and recoated is "mirrored" i.e.: the woodgrain on either side of the
dash is a mirror image of the other half... There is a very thin seam in the
middle and it goes out from there, using consecutive cuts from the same piece
of wood, and veneered like an open book. I have this same detail in the
Jaguar... I wonder when they changed to this style, or if it was a supplier
issue. I have about 3 spare dashes- 1 which needs a second coat of two part
epoxy(yep- I screwed it up again) and two which are damaged(both are broken at
the weak point- the hole for the speedo) but need stripping and recoating. One
of the two is an otherwise ok 948 dash- single(speedo) hole, with the "herald"
script(proper size- not a fender badge) while the other two are two holers-
speedo & temp.(One is now a three, for I added a spot for my volts gauge) My
running dash is a four holer- Tach, speedo, volt gauge above Temp gauge- in
that order, l-r.

Scott