Re: Anybody heard of 86mm "County" pistons?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Anybody heard of 86mm "County" pistons?
From: SDOliner@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 09:15:30 EDT
I had to replace the pistons in my TR4A (had a errant air cleaner bolt get
sucked into the engine) and used a set 86mm County pistons and County rings.
I did this with the engine still in the car, replaced the rings, rod
bearings, had the head repaired and milled where the bolt smashed up against
it, and replaced the valves.

For all of the violence the engine suffered, the car actually made the 10
mile drive home. I guess I was lucky to the extent that the bolt smashed
straight up, and didn't score the cylinder. The piston cracked down through
and around the wrist pin, the top half remained in place, while the bottom
half guided the connecting rod and kept it from really buggering up
everything.

I thought I had burnt a vavle or something, couldn't believe what I found
when I opened up the engine.

I have since put about 1500 miles on the car, and it is running stronger than
ever.

David Oliner
67 TR4A
59, 60 Bugeyes