RE: To Color Tune, or Not?

To: <MotoPsyche@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: To Color Tune, or Not?
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 20:24:37 -0700
> I'm looking for advice from experienced hands regarding the
> effectiveness of
> the Gunson Colortune system for setting the proper fuel/air mix
> on my TR3A's
> SU H6 carbs.  Greatest thing since sliced bread or high tech overload?
> What's the most effective method to get it right consistently?

I've never tried a Colourtune, but the old "lift the piston" test is quick,
easy, sensitive and accurate.  When everything is right, even half of one
flat on the mixture nut makes a noticeable difference.  (Conversely, if you
don't get that sensitive peak, there's something wrong that should be fixed
before adjusting the mixture, like timing or valve lash.)  Best of all, it's
free!

Randall