Lucas has Seasonal Defective Disorder

To: Scott Tilton <stilton@protoprod.com>
Subject: Lucas has Seasonal Defective Disorder
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:40:15 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h3GDgZrU000878
Message text written by Scott Tilton
<snip>At lunch yesterday though,  I sat at a stop light for a while and
when I
pulled away I was alarmed by the distinct smell of something electrical
burning.

After glancing at my neighbors in traffic I looked at the ammeter and saw
that it was pegged towards the positive side . . 30+ amps (if you believe
the gauge)

In very short order it flickered back down to zero and did its usual
twitching job.
<snip>

Scott, it sounds like the contacts in the control box are welding
themselves together.  The short fix is to replace the control box.  But the
cheap fix (hey, aren't we all?) would be to try filing the contacts with a
point file.  Of course, my experience with this fix is it is rather short
lived.  But a point file is much less expensive than a control box.

Or you can change to an alternator, if that is what you want to do.

Cheers

Dave Massey