Re: Electric Fan Control

To: "Gerald Van Vlack" <jerryvv@alltel.net>
Subject: Re: Electric Fan Control
From: "David Brister" <david.brister@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 14:02:55 +0200
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
I also think the temperature is best sensed at the top of the radiator. Many
continental cars use thermal switches which screw into a 22mm thread in the
rad. I soldered a 22mm  half nut to the top of the rad and experimented with
various switches, Moss also sells them, until I found one that puts the fan
on when the needle is half way between centre and the red mark. Say about 5
o'clock. The fan cuts out when the needle gets (very rapidly) back to around
7 o'clock.

 As a matter of interest I was going to make a hole in the rad header tank
after completing the soldering but tried the system without and it was
unnecessary. I also fitted an amber warning light between the fan and earth
and was constantly annoyed by the light coming on at speed when it was
windmilling and generating current! Eventually solved this rather
inelegantly by fitting a second relay, but I'm sure there is a way of doing
this without that.

Also I think it most desirable to fit a manual overide switch,  You can use
it to thermally stabilise the engine after a long spell in a traffic jam on
a hot day, also before you put the car away.

I am pleased with the mod and it has raised the urban fuel consumption by
1/12 to 2 Imperial/mpg.

02 eurocents worth!

David Brister.
1967 TR4A.