TR4 Windscreen glass installation

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 Windscreen glass installation
From: "Rob Pannell" <panl@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 14:18:47 -0500
Hello all,

I'm in the process of putting the windscreen back in my TR4.  We got the frame
back on the car last night, and made an attempt at reinstalling the glass into
the frame.  We tried the "cord" method by installing a length of insulated
stranded copper wire -- it seemed like a good choice, since the insulation was
well coated, and the stranded wire allowed the wire to be very flexible.

The biggest problem seemed to be seating the windshield far enough into the
frame -- that is, when we started pulling the cord to seat the glazing rubber,
there was barely enough rubber making the seal, and it was not enough in some
locations.  Also, the glazing rubber was pulling the vinyl material that
covers the inside of the windscreen frame along with it.  We stopped about
half-way around the glass and put it aside.

Any tips/tricks/thoughts/BTDT advice for us?  Tools?  Lubricants?

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Rob Pannell
CT33553L