RE: Octane Boosters

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Octane Boosters
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:42:54 -0800
> While looking for info on octane boosters, I came across this recipe from
> VTR.  Has anyone ever tried this?  The reason I was checking into boosters
> was that I have some pinging and knocking.

Paul, I've tried straight toluene, which should work even better than that
concoction (transmission fluid has a very low octane).  It's good for a
little improvement, but not very much.  It took about a 1:10 mixture toluene
and premium pump gas to keep my somewhat modified (oops, got that CR too
high) TR3A from knocking.  BTW, STP Octane booster (available at cheap auto
parts stores everywhere) is pretty close to that homebrew.

IMO to get any serious improvement you need an additive that contains MMT.
Unfortunately Pennzoil bought out Snap, and discontinued my favorite
additive "the Outlaw - Racing formula".  You can still buy "NOS Octane
Booster Racing Formula" I believe, but it's a lot more expensive.  Look on
the package to be sure it has MMT in it, both companies sell/sold lesser
formulas without the MMT.

Of course YMMV.  Friend of mine tried the NOS stuff in his supercharged
M**ta and said it didn't help at all.

Anyone know what happened to that screwball lawsuit over MMT ?  I'm too lazy
to search for it at the moment.

Randall