RE: TR-3 Rear Shocks

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR-3 Rear Shocks
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 06:25:16 -0800
> I guess we weren't lucky with a club member's TR3A at a recent club
> sponsored Tune 'n Tech.  We used bolts, broke them off, welded nuts on,
> wouldn't budge.  Finally, the group gave up and told him to
> loosen the body
> and lift it up enough so he could slide the springs off the pins without
> removing them.  Do you think this will work?

With the body off, you should be able to slide the springs off the pins (if
the pins aren't rusted into there as well).  I can't see any reason the body
has to come entirely off, but at the same time your club member is going to
have to do 95% of the work of removal just to get it loose enough to raise
the 6" or so that is needed.  You (or he) might want to read through the
archives for what others have said about reinforcing the body before lifting
it.

> Or is there another way we didn't think of yet?

Assuming you've already tried heat, soaking in PB Blaster, etc. the only
other approach I can think of is the hole in the sill (that I already
mentioned) plus trying to drill (or EDM) the pin out of the frame.  Of
course, once you start tearing into the pin, you're committed to getting it
out; which may wind up with having to remove the body and repair the frame.
I've heard of the tube that the pin goes through coming out through the side
of the frame ...

Randall