RE: Ignition Question

To: "Susan Tucker" <sltucker1@earthlink.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Ignition Question
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 08:20:22 -0800
>    Quick question.  It was finally a nice day here in Kentucky so I
> was going to drive my TR4.  Went to start it and it tried to turn
> over two or three times then nothing.  The battery is fine.  It was
> at half so I put the charger on it.  The lights come on and do not
> dim when I turn the key.
>    I was wondering if you guys thought it was my ignition coil or the
> distributor.   The coil clicks a little when I turn the key but that
> is all.  I checked the connections and they are fine.

Susan, unless I'm misunderstanding something, it can't be the ignition coil
or distributor.  From your description, it would have to be the solenoid
(which is what clicks when you turn the key to start, the click is normal
but doesn't necessary mean the solenoid is good), the cable to the starter,
the starter itself, or a bad connection somewhere between those three items.
Could also be a bad ground, either between the starter and the engine block
or the engine block and the body.  There's a ground strap between the engine
front plate and the frame that is frequently overlooked when the engine has
been out, it's absence can cause mysterious "no crank" problems.

If you can, connect a test light across the two big terminals on the
solenoid.  It should light when you connect it, and go out when you try to
crank the engine.  If not, the solenoid is bad (or is not getting power from
the ignition switch, but the click would indicate that it is getting power).
Work outwards from there until you find the problem.

Randall