What is this called?

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: What is this called?
From: "William Scherer" <scherer_william@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 14:38:09 -0800 FILETIME=[95C8B9E0:01C2D3B0]
Hi List
  I know that everybody is a little nervous about the impending events in
the middle east.  Me too, I was one of those reservists that got  activated
12 years ago for the last war.  Lots of old friends in my old unit have been
called up this time.  But lets get back to LBC stuff here. Does anyone know
what to call the device that holds the free end of the bonnet stand?  A
friend of mine in Santa Cruz is looking for one for his TR2.   He ain't on
the list, I will try to recruit him.
Bill in San Jose
P.S.  Is my 74 VW Thing (model 181) considered a SUV?