Easy conversion of SUV to Triumph :-)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Easy conversion of SUV to Triumph :-)
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 15:23:00 -0500
Sorry for the lack of content on terrorism, fuel costs and such. But at least
this is about an SUV!

I've discovered a way to make an SUV feel a lot like a Triumph. A couple of
days ago, I had some work done on my '91 Explorer. Said work included fluid
changes in the front and rear axles, manual gearbox and transfer case.

Next morning (as has been the case for the last too many mornings), it was very
cold. I started the car and moved out from my driveway to the road. I went from
1st to 2nd gear and thought the gearbox had suddenly gone terribly awry. Even
with the long lever, it was almost impossible to find and engage 2nd. So I
almost immediately realized what had happened...and why my Explorer was
suddenly shifting like an old Herald or TR on a very cold day.

Anyone?

Yes, of course. Hypoid gear oil in the gearbox. Logical enough, except that the
Ford specification (Mazda gearbox, btw) is Mercon ATF.

Long story a bit shorter: my (independent shop) mechanic told me that they
routinely do this now on Ford products with higher mileage (I've got almost
217,000 on the Explorer) to help compensate for wear and sloppiness, etc. After
I explained that I'd never had any trouble whatsoever with this gearbox --
honestly, it's nearly "as new"! -- he agreed that he'll drain and refill the
gearbox with the ATF at my convenience.

The irony was that I'd decided to have all the gearbox and axle fluids
changed...because the car when first starting out was very sluggish in the very
cold weather, and I figured that the various fluids had definitely seen better
and thinner days (haven't we all?). The manual gearbox, though, was not
particularly sluggish...until the gear oil was put in.

Sigh...at least it steers and tracks straight again (other needed repairs done
-- properly -- at the same time as the above).

--Andy Mace

p.s. I'm especially grateful for having that manual gearbox, still the
original, and a real clutch, also still the original. A friend just dropped
$2500 into a new automatic box for his Mercury Mountaineer!

p.p.s. Go Mets. ;-)