RE: Overheating

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Overheating
From: Nicholas Froome <listreader@pvision.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 18:53:03 +0000
> > While sitting (driveway, red lights, city traffic) my 62 TR3B
>> will get hot and overheat.   While moving (highway driving, not
>> stop and go) the temp i sfine.  I have placed the radiator shroud
>> in, but have not done anything else.  My thought is that the
>> radiator needs to be recored as it probably never has been.  So I
>> was going to start ripping off the front cowel to get to it.  Is
>> there an easier way to determine if it needs to go to the shop?
>> If it doesn't need to go, I can avoid the work and pain of tear down.
>
>Ask your local radiator shop if they can do a flow test with the radiator
>still in the car.
>
>Since it works OK at speed, I'd say the problem is not likely to be the
>radiator ... but a recore that deletes the crank hole is bound to help, no
>matter what the underlying problem is.

See the previous thread about fans for TR4s. Does your car have an
engine-driven fan or an electric one? If it's the former I suggest installing
an electric fan with a thermoswitch and a manual override, plus a fan indicator
on the dash

Although recoring the rad might be a good idea, installing an electric fan is
definitely a good idea, IMHO

If you remove the fan and the extension piece on the nose of the crank you will
disturb the beautifully-balanced nature of the Triumph pig-iron tractor engine
(harumph, harumph) and should use a harmonic balancer. But I think most people
don't bother...

Just bear in mind that if this overheating is a new phenomenon it may have a
deeper cause. Check that the car isn't losing water and that the cylinder head
gasket isn't failing. See my earlier post on this topic

Nick Froome
http://www.bolide.co.uk