header gasket, tr6

To: asalvato@tampabay.rr.com
Subject: header gasket, tr6
From: jay_welch@juno.com
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 08:08:59 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Al,

You may or may not want to try this but it does work for problems like
yours.  My neighbor has a 550 HP Dodge.  He couldn't get the header to
seal welll no matter whose gaskets he used...and he spent a lot of money
on gaskets to try to solve this including copper gaskets I believe.  What
ended up working for him was ultra-high temp silicone (RTV).  It was
orange in color.  He took the gaskets off and built a "donut" of RTV
around each port.  He then let the gasket sit and cure a bit.  Reattached
and has never had the problem again. Almost serves like an "O" ring.  I
would use it in conjunction with your metal gasket.

Good luck,
Jay Welch, Abington MA
Secretary, "Cape Cod British Car Club"
http://clubs.hemmings.com/capecodbritish/
1973 TR6 driver
1971 TR6 project

>Are there any other type of banna nuts that will put more pressure  on
it? Oh, is it OK to reuse the metal gasket that came with the original
style
gasket? haven't tried that yet.