RE: Gear reduction starter on TR3: The saga continues

To: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>, "richard triplett" <rtriplett25@yahoo.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Gear reduction starter on TR3: The saga continues
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 01:29:16 -0800
> Anyway, the combination ring gear and starter is critical.  When
> the starter
> is engaged does the starter gear move towards the starter housing or away
> from it?  If the gear moves away from the housing (towards the back of the
> car) you have to old style starter.  The proper ring gear will be a
> compression fit and the bevel will be facing the front of the car.
>
> If the starter gear moves in towards the starter housing when
> engaged, then
> the ring gear should be a bolt on and the bevel on the teeth will face the
> rear of the car.
>
> I'm pretty sure I got this right, if not I trust someone on the list will
> correct me.

That's right, although it's worth noting that the aftermarket gear reduction
starters always have the pinion move away from the starter housing, even for
the later style ring gear.  I believe this is made possible by them being a
"pre-engaged" design, where the pinion is meshed with the ring gear before
power is applied to the motor, rather than after as with the original
starters.

So, for a gear drive starter on a later car, the pinion goes in from the
unbeveled side of the ring gear.  The GR starters are still different
between early and late, but the pinion motion is the same.

Randall