Rumbling Spitfire MK 3 - Update

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Rumbling Spitfire MK 3 - Update
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 21:08:50 EST
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Listers,
Thanks to all who responded to my first inquiry last week on my Rumbling
Spit.  You guys pretty much covered all the potential problems and I checked
out all that I could and found two problems.  The flange on the diff was
definitely bent.  This is where the gap where they mate was.  I changed the
flange, remated the shaft and everything there now looks good.  I was using
early Spit driveshaft bolts which to my surprise are smaller in diameter than
late Spit or GT6.  Duh! My Bad!  The front ones were pretty loose.  So I have
the right bolts in now and everything is tight.

However, I still see "run out" when I rotate the shaft.  Not as much as
before but enough that I am concerned.  This is a late Spitfire OD driveshaft
with the CV joint upfront mounted to the gearbox instead of a u-joint. The
slight out of round rotation appears the be coming from this end now.  There
is only a little play in the joint.  Should I put the exhaust back on (pain
in the butt) and take her for a ride (also a pain since it is all snowy,
slick and nasty here in NE Ohio) hoping that she will be all smoothed out at
speed or is this "run out" I am seeing a sure indication that she is going to
continue to Rumble?

Thanks in advance for any comments, I know this is a Tuff One.
Darrell