RE: TR3A Water Pump

To: "David Willett & Carol Gray" <willgray@region.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A Water Pump
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 09:59:38 -0800
> As I was preparing to install my "new" (used) water pump onto the
> engine block, I noticed that it does not, contrary to the diagrams in
> Bentley and in Haynes manuals, have any provision for a grease nipple
> anywhere. There is a small aperture on the underside of the pump
> through which a short length of the shaft can be seen, but that's
> all. I have not attempted to disassemble the pump itself as the
> pulley/shaft assembly seems to rotate quite freely with lateral or
> longitudinal play.

Dave, most replacement pumps, and I believe even later factory pumps did not
have the grease nipple, they instead used "lifetime" lubricated bearings.
There are actually some replacement pumps running around with "fake" grease
nipples, the nipple is present for an original appearance, but does not
communicate with the bearing.

Randall