Loan underwriter disses LBC's (lifestyle section)

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Loan underwriter disses LBC's (lifestyle section)
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 15:30:05 -0700
So I'm scheduled to close on the new 2 1/2 car garage w/ attached house on
Friday, and I hear from my loan officer that the underwriter might need
another letter of explanation. Apparently she (the underwriter) is
concerned that we sold our '97 Land Rover Discovery a few months ago, and
she wonders why. Now I said "well, has *she* ever owned a Land Rover? It
should be obvious why *anyone* would want to sell one!" Just kidding, loved
the truck, everyone should have one.

Apparently she noticed the average age of cars in our household is 33
years. And she is concerned that I'll run out and REPLACE the Triumph as
soon as I have the new house. I guess a Triumph daily driver is just about
inconceivable to regular folk. For now my loan officer is planning to walk
over and review the chronology with her: 1. Steven's 40 year old car is his
daily driver, 2. his wife's Land Rover was hers, 3. she returned to work
and sold the Discovery for the better mileage and lower cost of a 26 year
old Mercedes. What's so strange about that? ;-)

Of course if the underwriter knew LBC owners better, she'd understand the
risk isn't Replacement but Addition. Unlike my old one car garage, I can
probably squeeze a project TR4 and maybe an old Mini or two in the new
garage, and a Series Land Rover parked on the curb would be handy to haul
parts.

--
Steven Newell
Littleton, CO