Re: Welding Patch Panels

To: "Fisher, Curt \(AFS-Dixon\)" <CFisher1@afs.bwauto.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Welding Patch Panels
From: "Jeffery Howard" <nhoward442@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 19:13:31 -0600
Curt,
A friend of mine that restores car worth hundreds of thousands of dollars
told me this past month that he hates getting a car with brazed joints.  He
said the brazing material is very difficult to remove and will cause more
problems than it will solve.  He will not braze anything on a car, but he
may be expecting more from his own work than we are from ours.

I have a GT6+ with an area that was brazed in a previous repair.  I plan to
cut it out and replace the entire area with new metal.  All round the
brazing, the metal has corroded and cracked.  All this happened because it
changed the strength of the area and added a corrosive agent to the parent
metal to add adhesion for the brazing.

My advice is to avoid brazing.

Jeff Howard
Rayne LA