RE: Gauge lighting (was little green lights)

To: "INTERNET:hfader@usa.net" <hfader@usa.net>
Subject: RE: Gauge lighting (was little green lights)
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 10:20:51 -0500
Cc: "'Nicholas Froome'" <listreader@pvision.co.uk>, "'Dave Massey'" <105671.471@compuserve.com>, "'[unknown]'" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id gBUFNKcq013973
Message text written by INTERNET:hfader@usa.net
>Yes I am definitely interested in an LED replacement for dash lights. This
>is something I thought about doing too, but haven't run out of other
things
>yet. There may already be LEDs that have a screw type socket. Randall
>pointed me at a web site but haven't looked yet.

That would make it much easier.  Potting an LED in a clear epoxy would mean
splicing the wires together (although since LED's have a virtually
unlimited life expentancy means there is no need for replaceability).

>Question: are the new high intensity LEDs any brighter than the
>incandescents they would be replacing?

Good question.  I know that there are some really bright white LED's out
now but these tend to have a narrow viewing angle - in other words, the
light is somewhat columnated - and that means most of the light goes
straight out the front of the LED and there is little light coming out
sideways.  If the light path within the gauge is dependant on the light
emminating sideways from the bulb in a 360 degree arc then an LED may not
light the gauge as well as an incandecent bulb even though the LED is
brighter.

>If the LEDs are brighter, replacing the Trafficator lamp is another
>possibility. You can't see it at all in daylight.

This may be an ideal application for an LED.

Another issue with LED's is dimming.  I've noticed from experience that
LED's don't dim at the same rate as incandecent bulbs and depending on the
voltage dropping device in series with the LED, may not dim significantly
at all.  That is not an issue, however, with trafficators.  I have also
noticed that there are cars on the road now with LED arrays for brake and
turn indicators and the lights switch on and off much more abruptly.  This
brings up the fact that although the filament in a bulb heats up quickly,
it isn't instantaneous and the LED's are noticably quicker.  This may be
considered an asset for trafficators.

Cheers

Dave