RE: SILICA GELL.....I THINK maybe universal CONTENT!

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: SILICA GELL.....I THINK maybe universal CONTENT!
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 22:58:49 -0800
> You know those little  packets of silica gell you get packed,
> sometimes, with
> your parts,..............well....they are reuseable..........if
> one just knew
> how to dry them out again..........nice to pack and seal with
> parts you are
> saving, etc.
>
> So.........the question is.......I've saved a bunch of these, in those
> little, sorta,  paper bags............How long do I bake them in the
> microwave or conventional  oven, and at what temp., to drive out all the
> moisture.....so I can repack them when I reseal my saved parts???

I've no idea, but a little quick web surfing turned up several recipes,
varying from 150F to 400F, and 25 minutes to 9 hours.  The stuff is
apparently sold in camera stores (with a moisture sensitive dye so you can
tell if it's "wet" or not).  Also in florist shops and garden centers (it's
used for drying flowers), and gun stores.

There's an interesting exposition at
http://www.flash.net/~wamco1nm/art1.html

It's also worth mentioning that I found many references to ingested silica
gel causing serious health problems, including death.  No idea if that's
true, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to be careful ...

Randall