Re: Wood dash & guage illumination - suggestions?

To: "Philip E.E Bacon" <pboldtrix@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Wood dash & guage illumination - suggestions?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 11:52:20 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <jhassall@blacksburg.net>, "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id gBTGt8cq014573
Message text written by "Philip E.E Bacon"
>Could you perhaps remove each gauge and cut another slot further back
(with a Dremel)...thus allowing light to enter in spite of the increased
depth of the wooden dash?  I think I have the same situation on my TR6
which also has a thick wood fascia dash with dim lights.  I sorta always
thought  my rheostat dimmer switch was worn out.
<

Philip, the gauges are different.  The TR4 (and TR3) gauges have the bulb
mounted just outside the gauge and slots are provided to allow the light to
enter the gauge and illuminate the face.  The TR6 gauges have the bulb
mounted in a tube on the back side of the gauge and the light path from
there is completely internal to the gauge so it makes no difference what
the panel thickness is.

Early TR6 gauges are notoriously poorly illuminated.  The best thing I
found for this is the halogen bulbs available from LBCO (although rather
pricey)

Good suggestion on expanding the slots, though.  The only down side to this
is if the slots extend back behind the gauge face will the light entering
there reach the face and do any good?  Enquiring minds want to know.

Cheers

Dave Massey