RE: Thermostat on TR4A

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Thermostat on TR4A
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 12:22:09 -0800
> Do I have to drain my radiator to remove the thermostat?  I have
> been running
> hot/overheating and I want to test the thermostat.  The radiator
> fluid/antifreeze, looks and tests good, so I'd like to leave it in if
> possible.

Chris, as Bob has already written, you have to drain at least some of the
coolant.  However, there's no reason you can't drain it into a clean
container and reuse it if you're certain it's good.

But note that what deteriorates are the rust inhibitors, and most testers do
not test for them (only for glycol, which doesn't wear out).  If it's been
in the car more than 2 years (even if the car hasn't been started/driven),
I'd take this opportunity to change it.  When it starts looking rusty, there
has already been damage done ...

Randall Young
59 TR3A TS39781LO daily driver (currently sidelined for OD transplant)
63 Sports 6 HB7826LCV rustoration project
71 Stag LE1473L daily driver (Real Soon Now)