RE: TR3 SU H6 SM uh-oh

To: "jim wallace" <wallaces@superaje.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 SU H6 SM uh-oh
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 21:33:30 -0800
> What a life eh, rebuilding carbs on Christmas eve?

Sounds better than replacing a radiator, which is what I've been working on.
Gave up after making two stupid mistakes with the lathe, trying to recreate
a piece for my Stag's cooling system that has rotted away.  Fortunately
didn't do any serious damage to either me or the lathe.

> a) My rebuild kit features new jets, but the holes in their sides
> are quite a
> bit smaller than the ones that are presently in the carbs. Does
> it make any
> difference? I can use the old ones; they look fine, but now that
> I'm this far...

Shouldn't make any difference.  And, since it's almost impossible to judge
wear inside the jet bore, I would definitely use the new ones.

> b) Where do the famous O-rings go? I see two possibilities: at
> the top or the
> bottom of the spring that's just around the jet.

I had to double-check that you were talking about SU and not ZS carbs ...
don't know that they're 'famous', but I assume you're talking about the
"high-tech" jet seals supplied by Moss.  They actually go in both places,
two per carb, one above that spring and the other below it, in place of the
original cork rings.  However there are some small brass rings that go
between the O-rings and the spring.  New ones should have been supplied with
your kit, but you can reuse the old ones.

Randall