Re: Broken Crank

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Broken Crank
From: Mike Lang <mlang@easystreet.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 09:46:07 -0800
I pulled the pan tonight, and took a quick look. I had expected to find
much more damage than I did. There were only a few fine metal shavings
in the pan. The crank is broken at the point that the #4 throw attaches
to the rear main bearing journal. It is suprisingly clean, almost like
it broke when the engine wasn't running. It will be interesting to
finish disassembly and see if the block is re-usable.

Gary, thanks for posting the link to "Tuning Standard Triumphs over
1300cc". I am slowly building a library of reference materials, and this
looks like a good addition. In fact, I just received my new copy of "How
To Restore Triumph TR2, TR3, & 3A" this evening.

Mike

1956 TR3
1960 TR3A