RE: TR3A Leaf Spring Front Pin

To: "Patrick Cantwell" <cantwell@gte.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A Leaf Spring Front Pin
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 14:36:00 -0800
> I bought a beautiful black/black 1958 TR3A recently and have
> found that the
> front connecting pin threads for one of the rear road springs sheared off.
> This pin goes through the frame & Moss sells a replacement for $16.95.
> However a shop has told me they never come out cleanly & said that it will
> have to be drilled or perhaps even take the body off to replace it.  Has
> anybody had experience removing one of these pins?

Patrick, I've had mine out, and although it wasn't a particularly easy job,
it was done without drilling or removing the body.  The head of the pin is
tapped for a puller bolt, I cobbled together a puller from threaded rod,
pipe and sockets.  Let it soak in PB Blaster for several days, and use heat
and hammer blows to encourage it.  I've also talked to a former Triumph
mechanic, who said they used to just drill a hole through the body, so a big
punch and BFH could be used.  He said that afterwards, they just plugged the
hole with a snap-in chromed plug !

> The shop has
> pointed out
> several other suspension problems, both front & rear, & quoted
> $5,000-$7,000
> U.S. to fix it.  I am in the process of getting a second (third, fourth?)
> opinion.  They also quoted $4,000-$4,500 to do an engine rebuild (I have
> noises/knocks at higher RPM's under load).

Both of those numbers sound high to me, but perhaps I'm just out of touch.
It depends a lot too on the condition of the car, just removing the engine
is a non-trivial project on a TR3 !  You can actually do a lot without
removing the engine, almost everything but the crank will come out with the
block still in the car (and the front apron still in place).  IMO it's
worthwhile inspecting the crank journals before you decide whether to remove
the engine or not.

Randall