RE: TR3 External Oiler for Valve Gear

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR3 External Oiler for Valve Gear
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 09:15:27 -0800
>      I see that TRF has a sale on external oilers for a TR3 valve
> train. What's
> the conventional wisdom on these oilers. Do they help? Is it worth it? I
> haven't noticed any undue wear on my valve train, but they look
> like they can
> take a lot of abuse.
>      Have any listers tried these?

Bill, I tried one and hated it.  It dramatically increased the amount of oil
sucked past the intake valve stems, and lowered overall oil pressure
(especially at hot idle).

The stock oil passages to the rockers do have a tendency to get clogged,
especially if you don't change the oil often enough.  High paraffin
("Pennsylvania grade") oil may aggravate the problem too.  But IMO this cure
is worse than the disease.  Better to just check the rocker oiling
occasionally (let the engine idle for a minute with the rocker cover off,
look for oil seepage from the front rocker), and clean the oil passages if
necessary.

Randall