Re: Bead blasting differentials?

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bead blasting differentials?
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 16:46:56 -0000
Hi Scott
I have found thinners much better than gasoline at removing oil, but I think
degreaser would be more eco u no! 8-)
 If I wanted to clean these bits I would probably use wet methods, but if
you really want to blast then I would suggest walnut shell as the best
medium for this task, a bit absorbent as well as mild. Before you blast them
you need to find the number etched on the rear of the pinion and on the side
of the crown wheel, (they should be the same denoting a matched pair, it is
not a real big deal if they are not matched, but silence is not going to be
one of the options) this gives you a relative setting height for the pinion,
when you change the guts out of your original axle, measure the height of
the pinion from the rear face of the axle housing, check the number on the
pinion you remove and then you can set the new innards relative to the old.
Not the best method as that involves the tools that were on ebay a while ago
for setting the height relative to the bearings for the carrier, but not the
worst method for getting close. You should still check the mesh using
engineers blue, but at least you shouldn't be too far away!
Ooops got a bit sidetracked there, sorry for the long reply!  ;-)

Graham.