RE: Clutch Fluid?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Clutch Fluid?
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 14:16:29 -0800
> I have a TR250 & the clutch fluid  only lasts a couple of weeks. Is this
> normal?

No.  You need to fix the leak.  If you've been using anything except brake
fluid in there, you'll need to completely clean the system and replace all
the seals.  Hydraulic fluid and whatnot will ruin them.

> Is it OK to use DOT3 Brake fluid as replacement fluid?

Many years ago, American-made brake fluids were not compatible with British
brake (and clutch) seals.  It appears that all newer seals are compatible
though, I've not heard of anyone having this problem in a long time.  But if
there's any doubt, use Castrol (or DOT 5) brake fluid.

BTW, I heartily endorse DOT 5.  If you use any other brake fluid, it should
be changed every 2-3 years whether the car is driven or not.

Randall