RE: Which TR3 would you restore?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Which TR3 would you restore?
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 21:38:19 -0800
> I recently purchased two TR3's which are badly in need of restoration.
> One is a 1956 TR3, and the other is a 1960 TR3A. I am now trying to
> figure out which one to restore.
>
> They are both fairly complete, but each has its own set of problems. The
> TR3 is fairly straight, but very rusty. It will require a considerable
> amount of reconstruction with new sheet metal. The TR3A has much less
> rust, but has seen much more body damage. The condition of the running
> gear is about equal. I think that it's a toss up regarding both expense
> and labor to restore them. I plan to do all of the work myself, so the
> cost of labor is not a consideration. In fact, I am looking forward to
> the challenge.
>
> Which will make the most desirable vehicle when completed? My goal is to
> own a clean, drivable car when I am done. I am not particularly
> interested in trying to create show car.

The TR3 is certainly rarer, and I rather like the 'smallmouth' look (even
though I've always owned 3As).  However, the front drum brakes are pretty
horrible, I would definitely want front discs on a 'driver'.  Shouldn't be
too hard to transfer the calipers, hubs and mounts over, but you'll have to
keep an eye on the smaller MC reservoir.

Randall