RE: Battery rating

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Battery rating
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:13:56 -0800
> What rating battery should I get for a TR6 ?
> I disposed (gave to mum-in-law when she came to visit and her car
> died.) of the one that came in the car 5 years ago, but didn't
> note the rating (I was in a rush to "help").
> Owners manual says "capacity at 20 hour rate - 57 amp. hour"
> What does that translate into as far as how batteries are rated today ?

Stan, there really is no direct translation.  The reason is the improved
starting battery constructions, that allow adequate starting current to be
delivered by smaller (in terms of amp hours) batteries.  To put it another
way, "amp hours" are not the relevant measurement for a car battery, you
really don't care how long the battery will deliver 2.85 amps (in this case,
57/20 = 2.85).  The important thing is whether it will start the car.

Obviously, the most important thing is for the battery to fit physically.
Battery physical sizes are rated by "group number", I believe the TR2-6 all
take a Group 24 battery (although the battery box on my TR3 is plenty big
enough for a Group 27).

Then within each group size, each manufacturer (note that there are only a
few major car battery makers, everything else is relabeled) typically offers
different warranty lengths, with the longer warranties being attached to
more powerful batteries.  The smallest (cheapest) of these will do for your
TR6, but the more expensive ones do last longer.

I generally go for the middle-of-the-road battery, or larger if it's on sale
at the time.  If you plan to be starting the car in freezing weather, then
I'd go for the largest one.

The 'Everstart' batteries at Walmart are made by the same people that make
DieHard and Eveready, so far I've had good luck with them.  YMMV of course.

Randall