Re: TR4 nut busting

To: "Steven Newell" <steven@newellboys.com>, "Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 nut busting
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 21:53:04 -0500
From: "Steven Newell" <steven@newellboys.com>
To: "Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 8:36 PM
Subject: TR4 nut busting

> Thanks, the nuts are off, thanks mostly to some
> encouragement from Andy Mace to be a man
> and torque on those rascals. And to the time it
> took for me to email the list for advice, and eat
> dinner while I waited for Andy to reply. Still need
> to know about 72 spoke 4 1/2" or 5" wires though.

Pretty sure that 72-spoke wheels are 5.5 inches wide.  Buy the Dayton
wheels.  Don't waste your time on the India-made Dunlop wheels.

I wanted to keep the TR4 legal stock class and Sue wanted an original look.
TR4 cars had 60-spoke wheels as an option.  These are 4.5 inches wide.  I am
very happy with the Dayton 60-spokes.  The Dayton guy told me the painted
wheels are stronger and stiffer than the chrome ones because Dayton strings
the wires tighter.  The stainless wires can't take as much torque on the
threads.  Suits me:  I get more strength at lower cost and Sue gets her
original look.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com