TR7 5-speed in GT6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR7 5-speed in GT6
From: Scott D Kohl <sdkandlsk1@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 16:51:07 -0700
Roger, et al,

I am in the middle of this very conversion, though it has been stalled
for some time.  I have a prototype bellhousing completed, consisting of a
GT6 bellhousing with an adapter plate welded to the back of it that was
machined to match the front of the 5-speed.  The thickness of the adapter
plate takes up the extra length of the input shaft.  It had been my
thinking since before starting the project is that, knowing Triumph's
parts-bin engineering, that there were likely similar parts.  The input
shaft is the same diameter, no need to change the pilot bush.  Also, the
clutch is the same diameter, so you only need to change to a TR7 disc.  I
used the GT6 housing since the clutch release hardware is attached to it,
no engineering needed here.  The next step, which hasn't happened yet, is
to find out where to 'clearance' the frame rails.  The crossmember will
need to be farther back, and the remote will have to be shortened as much
as possible, the stick will end up about 1" farther back (relocate the
reversing light switch), but it will be about as long as the Miata
shifter.  The output shaft flange is larger then stock, may be clearance
problems when a UJ is bolted up.  If there is enough interest, I can
attempt to get the bellhousing back, as copies can be cast (it is
currently a planter--don't ask).

Scott Kohl
'67 2000
'69 GT6+