[no subject]

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
From: <bob@bob.mclaughlin.name>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 13:52:14 -0700
Hugh;
I recently went through this on my '71.  I have the single
tube exhaust, and it went in without exhaust pipe removal.
If you have the later dual tubes, I don't know if this will
be possible.  Here's how I did it.

I used a hydraulic jack ( one of the wheeled types) to
support the weight, and "wiggled" the diff into position.  I
made an adapter out of a few pieces of wood to allow the
jack to hold the curved surface of the diff better.  My 13
year old son provided the lift and lower on the jack while I
did the wiggle.  Out with the old and in with the new took
about 90 minutes.

I did not remove the exhaust pipe, but I found the rear
mounts align easiest first and then the fronts.  It needed
to move some to the left side of the car to clear the
exhaust pipe, then righ to align with the mounts.

Once everything lines up, jack the diff into place and bolt
it in snugly.

Hugh said:
I've been wrestling with my TR6 differential for the last
couple of hours.
It doesn't seem to want to go into place. I have the
standard exhaust still
in place. It came out with a bit of effort, but not this
bad. Any tips on
how to get this back in place? I forget who, maybe Dave or
Dick, said they
had done this many times.

Thanks,
Hugh Fader