RE: Interesting item on eBay web site item#1865903728: TRIUMPH TR2OVERD

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Interesting item on eBay web site item#1865903728: TRIUMPH TR2OVERDRIVE W\LESS THAN 7K MILES
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 06:26:40 -0700
> I'm sort of confused by the seller's claim - that it's a '4th
> only' unit. Isn't it the actuators attached to the shift selector
> that switch the OD on or off, regardless of whether it's 2nd, 3rd
> or 4th? True, the earliest TR2s had 4th only, but could be
> converted easily (there was even a kit sold for this purpose -
> Piggott mentions the part# in his 'Original' book).

As Piggott mentions, the earliest TR2 overdrive used smaller operating
pistons and so was not considered capable of handling the torque of the
lower gears.  The kit he mentions was supposed to be used only when also
upgrading the overdrive.

> I've got a strange one for everyone: take a look at this
> auction(& at the re-list it refers to):

Seems clear to me, there's even an explanation from the seller : "It has
been brought to my attention by an ebayer that these wheels may not in fact
be Borrani's, as I could not find a stamped RW#. These wheels were sold to
me as Borrani's and are coming off an Aston Martin DB5 showcar."

Certainly not the first time an eBay seller didn't know what he was selling,
at least this one admitted his (or her) mistake.

Randall