RE: TR4A wiring

To: "Jones, Alan" <ajones@wcvt.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4A wiring
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 18:52:34 -0700
> Ok the new wiring harness is not a plug and play concept. Help, My  front
> parking lights and rear running lamps as well as my instrument
> lights are on
> when I start the motor. If I operate my headlamps (only my low beams work)
> the ignition switch wont shut the motor off. I need to shut off
> the headlamp
> switch to shut the motor off. What am I doing wrong...

Here's some thoughts that may help :

Obviously, you've created a short between the two circuits, which
interestingly are the two circuits present at the fuse block in a TR4A.  I
think I would start by removing both fuses and seeing what happens.
Removing one of them should disable everything normally powered by the
ignition switch, except the coil and 'IGN' warning lamp.  The other one
should disable all the marker, tail and dash lamps (but not the headlamps).

Another likely suspect IMO is the wiring around the headlight switch, as it
gets both switched and unswitched power.  If the feed from the ignition
switch were somehow cross-connected to the feed to the fuse block (from the
headlight switch), that would cause your symptoms.  Or, the switch itself
could be bad.

I've got a TR4A wiring diagram that Dan Masters worked up, let me know if
you'd like a copy.  I understand it's not found in the factory manuals ...

Randall