Blown Head Gasket??

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net> FILETIME=[B637E530:01C2650A]
Subject: Blown Head Gasket??
From: "Williams, Bill (Atlanta)" <Bill.Williams@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 22:13:39 -0500 cpqcorp.net>
Hi Gang,

I've spent most of this evening preparing my TR6 for a long weekend trip
to the Flat Rock, N.C. show.  A dozen, or so, from the  Atlanta Triumph
club are going.

One thing that I spotted tonight was that my radiator fluid was down by
about a pint.  You might snicker, but this car, for as long as I've had
it, has never been low on fluid.

I've checked all the hoses, cap, the radiator, the heater, etc. and I
can find no leaks.  I checked the compression (dry) and each cylinder
looks fine.  I pulled the plugs and they look fine.  One looked a little
foul (rich), but the compression was fine.  The oil on the dip stick
looks good.  The car runs fine once it's warmed up.

If I had a small leak in the head gasket, what would be the symptoms and
would they be obvious?  (I'm probably overly anxious/nervous with the
tropical storm tracking this way and having to drive through that mess.)

Thanks,

Bill
74 TR6
Atlanta