RE: chrome

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: chrome
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 23:08:41 -0700
> Moral of the story - ask lots of questions of your chrome plater to ensure
> they do it right or don't use them.

Actually, removing all surface imperfections _is_ the "right way", a rough
surface will not shine no matter how much chrome you lay on it.  And the
labor to do this is part of the reason chroming is so expensive.  If you
want a part chromed without having the imperfections removed, you have to
explain this in detail (and preferably in writing) to the shop doing the
chrome.  Having them sign a copy of the instructions for you to keep is
probably a good idea too, gives you some basis for a lawsuit if necessary.

There are several different plating chemistries around, the old cyanide
baths are considered very "environmentally unfriendly" so other formulas had
to be developed.  'Hard' and 'bright' are merely two areas on a rather large
plot of temperature, time and current density, at least for the old cyanide
based method.  Might be different for the newer methods, I suppose.  Don't
know what Caswell sells, but I'll bet it isn't cyanide.  Chrome can even be
ion-sputtered, although I don't know of anyone that does this on a
commercial basis.  (Hmmm, never did look into how they chrome plastic ...)

Randall