RE: Overdrives New question J type plus response to old question (lon

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Overdrives New question J type plus response to old question (longish)
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 08:45:41 -0700
> Thanks for the input, sorry I didn't make it clear, it does drive quite
> normally out of overdrive, it is just that nothing happens for
> ages when you
> engage overdrive, then it is effectively neutral!

Graham, the thing is that the sprag clutch should never let it be
"effectively neutral" when driving in the forward direction.  One of it's
purposes is to take up the (direct) drive when neither of the main clutches
is engaged, this keeps the engine from speeding up while the OD is shifting.
If your engine is able to speed up when you engage the OD, then the sprag
clutch is not working and, as I said, a teardown is indicated, separately
from whatever the problem is that keeps the overdrive clutch from engaging
(probably low hydraulic pressure).

Randall