RE: Advice on Carbs (follow-up)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Advice on Carbs (follow-up)
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 12:27:44 -0700 r cn.com>
> One disturbing outcome was he pointed out that my distributor set up is
> incorrect! Apparently the DPO (or mechanic) screwed this up royally (Jay,
> aren't you glad you didn't buy this TR). I had never notice this until
> now.
>
> It appears that the vacuum retard is missing*. The advance works
> fine, but
> the retard is suppose to have a nut and bolt adjustment (missing), and
> screw into the housing (which is stripped).
>
> Any suggestions would be great appreciated (as always).

Unless originality is important to you, I'd just leave the retard unit off.
It only functions at idle anyway, and was only a rather dubious (IMO)
emission control, not important otherwise.  Set the timing to the 'static'
spec (10 BTDC ?), fix the vacuum leak, and set the idle as low as it will
go.  Idling fast will not hurt anything, and will reduce the likelihood of
overheating at idle.

Be sure you have the correct vacuum line connected to the advance module, it
should not have vacuum at idle but only at part throttle.

Randall