Dashpot Oil

To: "Mark Saffian" <saffian@direcway.com>
Subject: Dashpot Oil
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 13:54:24 -0400
Cc: "'Triumphs'" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Mark Saffian"
>Can anyone comment on the expected consumption rate of dashpot oil?  My
73 GT6 seems to use it up fairly fast, with the rear carb using twice as
much as the front.  What are they trying to tell me?
<

They are saying:  "Please replace the dashpot O-rings, please."

In good shape you should not use any dashpot oil.

To change the O-rings you first remove the needle, then fashion a ram out
of a dowell rod and push the needle adjuster and it's retaining washer out
of the bore.  The O-ring resides in a grove in the adjuster.  Replace the
O-ring and reassemble with the adjuster (proper end first) in the bore of
the dashpot followed by the retainer washer*.  Reinstall the needle and
adjust to where it was (you counted the turns to release the needle, didn't
your?) and then top up with the dashpot oil of your choice.  But choose
wisely since it will be there a good long time.

(note:  *The retaining washer is a spring washer that bites into the inside
bore of the dashpot and once in place will keep the needle adjuster located
where it belongs.  Do not omit this part.)

Note: please refer to the carb section of your manual for more complete
instructions.

Dave

P.S. I replaced the O-rings in my TR8 carbs and have not needed to top up
since.