Re: Oil leak from fuel pump? Correction and update (long)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil leak from fuel pump? Correction and update (long)
From: "Mike Kitchener" <mikek@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 15:48:47 +0200
Mike Kitchener wrote :
> I have this same problem on my 3A and am now convinced that oil is
> being blown out through the hand primer shaft joints .These joints
> (leather ?) are quite thin , 9/16" I.D. only 40+ years old and the
> whole assembly is riveted together .I am currently trying to rebuild a
> spare pump , which also leaked oil , with the hand primer blanked off

The joint I.D. is smaller than 9/16" , mine had worn away in the middle
.Finally I decided to try and
repair the pump and keep the hand primer .This is what I did :
When the pump was stripped of everything else , I marked the position of the
external priming lever
on it's shaft then drifted it out on one side ( surprisingly easy ), extracted
the shaft from the pump
body after bending the lever for clearance , then drifted out the shaft from
the lever on the other
side .
The shaft was then drilled and tapped 4mm at each end , taking care not to
break through the
metal .
Two joints , 20mm O/D,10mm I/D , thickness 1.2mm were cut out of an old inner
tube and
everything lined up and re-assembled using a short 4mm screw and flat washer on
each side .
The vent hole was also blanked off with a 4mm screw as I believe that it is not
necessary when
there is no seal on the diaphragm rod .
After re-fitting and a test run , the pump has no signs of a leak , don't know
how long that will last
but at least the joints can easily be changed now .
All that needs to be done now is the rear main seal , overdrive adaptor joint ,
diff input
Cheers
Mike