RE: Halogens and headlight sw.

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Bob Rochlin" <r_rochlin@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Halogens and headlight sw.
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 19:19:28 -0700
>      I've gotten a new working switch with great thanks to Jay Welch.  My
> question is that I noticed tonight that the headlamps are
> Sylvania Halogens.
> Do you think that the Halogens could have been the cause of the
> switches early
> demise?  Should I put a relay in to keep the same thing from
> happening again?

Bob, if you're talking about sealed beam halogens, they draw the same amount
of current as standard bulbs.  So, I wouldn't blame them for your switch's
early (?) demise.  However, I do believe relays will extend the life of the
switch ... if nothing else relays are cheaper and easier to replace.  I
think you'll also see a welcome increase in brightness.

JCW at least used to sell a nice relay package, with two relays (high/low
beam) and a fuse in a single metal box with screw terminals.  Cost a bit
more than the run of the mill 'foglight' relay, but made for a nice, easy
installation.  ISTR it came with instructions on how to add sealed beam
headlights to a Model T <g>

Randall