RE: CALLING ALL TRANSMISSION GURUS

To: "'Randall Young'" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>, "'Triumphs@autox. Net'" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: CALLING ALL TRANSMISSION GURUS
From: "R. Ashford Little II" <ralittle2@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 09:54:19 -0400
> 1.  My tachometer reads about 500 rpm low at cruising speeds.  What
> exactly can be done to fix this?

Are you sure the tach is reading low ?  Reading high is the usual malady
and AFAIK replacement (either of the whole head or of the flying magnets
inside) is the only cure for reading low.

Yes, the tach is reading low.  Who can fix a TR6 tach?

> The mechanic thinks that the friction plate is responsible for the
jerky
> motion.

One possibility is that it was installed backwards ...

I don't know, but I would think not.  It certainly looks like the tranny
will come out once again.  I just want to fix the issue once and for
all.

>  He is unsure of the reason for the other malady.  Now, I know
> that everyone is familiar with the broken taper pin story, but if my
> logic is correct, and IF I had another broken taper pin, it would seem
> to me that the pushrod in the slave would not have good travel.  So
I'm
> stumped, and a bit tired of taking my transmission out (done that
> twice).

Actually, excess motion at the slave without fully releasing is exactly
what
you would expect with a broken pin.  Other possibilities include a pilot
bearing that was damaged on installation, and the friction plate not
sliding
easily on the splines due to rust or a burr somewhere.

I was wondering if my physics were backwards on that part.  But it
seemed to me that if the pin or fork was an issue then it would not
allow the cross shaft to rotate fully thus not having much throw in the
slave.

Obviously the pilot bearing and friction plate would have to be
inspected to check on this.

On a related note, has anyone tried fitting a smaller i.d. slave
cylinder to
a TR6 ?

Randall

I neglected to mention, although I doubt it makes any difference, that I
went with the .75 master cylinder vs. the .70.

Thanks once again.

Ashford