Re: Bosch Plug gaps

To: STEVE ROHAL <SROHAL@cfl.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Bosch Plug gaps
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 12:12:33 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
STEVE ROHAL wrote:

> Listers;
>
> Searching your collective wisdom again!
>
> Replacing my Champion plugs with Bosch platinum plugs. Told they stay cleaner
> longer etc. Had my Champions gapped at .035 because of my Pertronix electronic
> ignition installed in my 74' TR6.Worked fine.
>
> Question: The guy at AutoZone said the Bosch plugs were gapped already -can
> these be re-gapped without damage to plug? Anything I need/should know about
> running these new plugs?

These cannot be gapped by traditional means. The platinum plating on the
center electrode is very thin and easily damaged, so the plug goes bad
quickly. That said, some toolmakers are supplying plastic gap checkers
which do no damage.

Chances are the gap is close. The platinum plugs crossing over for my
GT6 were close to 0.035".  Only thing I would recommend with these plugs
is to coat the threads with never-seize before installing, because
they're going to be in the head much longer than is usual.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

The gulf between content and substance continues to widen....