Recalcitrant starter - revisited

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Recalcitrant starter - revisited
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 00:11:24 +0100
Thanks to those who replied with a variety of diagnoses and
'restoration techniques' on my 2000's starter. Mike Porter recommended
a BFH on Old Joe's casing to free things off - and I did that too. The
knuckles are healing quite nicely now Michael though the spark off the
live terminal wen the BFH bounced upwards was quite exciting at te
time!
Over the last week, its been over and under to extract the motor, fit
a new manifold gasket whic needed changing anyway and then refit a
nicely reconditioned starter. The solenoid was shot anyway and that
seemed to me to be the answer. Also took the opportunity of rebuilding
the carbs while I was at it, doing some painting and all very pleasant
until re-start time arrived.
BUT who should have taken the opportunity of checking the ring gear
while there was a gaping 'ole - but didn't?
Same screech on turninng the key. Starter works fine, in fact better
than ever. Only trouble is I've a discomforting feeling te bendix
can't turn te flywheel owing to the absence of a critical number of
teeth in a very fundamental place.
Missing ring gear teeth, if that's what it is, is a thread I don't
recall seeing on the list so submissions will be of more than passing
interest. Does anyone know offhand whether the flywheel from a PI is
the same as on a facelift 2000 or any other ideas? Graham?

Jonmac
Moreton in Marsh, UK
1950 Ferguson TED20 152318 - Grey/Grey
1970 Triumph 2.5PI MG4305DL(O) - Sienna/Tan
1974 Triumph 2000 ML2294DLO - Mallard/Black

IN THE SHADOW OF MY FATHER
http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/triumphbook
THE CROCUS AND A CORNFLOWER http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/crocus
The SLOW progress with 'Canley Girl':