Re: no brake pedal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: no brake pedal
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 10:28:24 EDT
Cc: 6pack@autox.team.net
In a message dated 9/1/2002 10:20:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jdavis344@directvinternet.com writes:

> I've rebuilt 7 or 8 over the years and at best none lasted more than 18
> months without leaking. The new m/cs I've filled with silicone fluid
> have never failed or leaked in years of service.
> I'd bite the bullet and buy a new one.

Not to contradict, simply to offer another perspective:

I've rebuilt my share, too. And I just got back a Spitfire MkIV for which I
rebuilt the dual master cylinder, because the cylinder seems to have failed
again, partially (nice safety feature, that dual-circuit thing, since the car
still stops. Maybe they oughta make it a law or something)...10 years after
the rebuild. I've not gotten the cylinder apart yet to see if it's worth
another try. I do know for a fact that this particular cylinder is at least
22 years old and might well be the original from 1972.

No question, though: if anything on the cylinder wall doesn't basically
"polish" out with a light honing, it's a candidate for resleeving or
recycling.

--Andy Mace

"I don't know much about being a millionaire, but I'll bet I'd be darling at
it." (Dorothy Parker)