RE: Electronic Ignition and Positive ground?

To: <Egbman1@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Electronic Ignition and Positive ground?
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 04:40:41 -0700
> Once again I must come to the fountain of TR knowledge,
> My generator just died on my TR4 (bearings) and I've been
> contemplating an
> alternator conversion. PO had installed a Crane XR700 electronic ignition
> kit, set up for the stock positive ground. Does anyone know if it can be
> switched to negative ground or do I need a whole new negative ground unit
> from Crane?

Earl, I'm not certain, but I believe you can simply rewire your existing
unit.  To double  check, disconnect the red and black wires, then use an
ohmmeter to check for continuity between both of them and the Crane module.
If there's no continuity, you can safely switch.  Older units may have had
continuity, in which case I would suggest replacing the module.

Randall