RE:Hard starting when warm, impossible to start when hot

To: <glen@littledevil.com.au>
Subject: RE:Hard starting when warm, impossible to start when hot
From: "forward-or-reply" <lstein@cs.uccs.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 09:43:23 -0600
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
you've got great feedback from all the guys.  just thought i would share my
experience. i recently rebuilt my gt6.  i had the same exact problem.  and
there were two reasons for it, which made it harder and frustrating to fix.
first, the engine was tight.  after a rebuild it was so tight that as the
engine got warmed up, and it got hot because it was tight, which made it
tighter and hotter !  only time fixes that.  with my engine it took over 1000
miles to loosen up and cool down.  second the starter motor was weak.  when
cold it always cranked nice and fast and the engine started.  when it was hot
it would not crank much at all (arrr arrr arr blah).  the engine was tight hot
and the starter motor just didn't have the oomph to get over that tightness.
when testing the starter on the bench it spun like a top.  i did end up after
much frustration (read embarresingly pushing my stunning looking car to jump
start it in front of starbucks a number of times) go down to advanced auto
parts.  they had a brand new lifetime warranty starter for me the next day
(for $40 btw).  that fixed the hot start problem.  even while the engine was
tight it would start because the new starter had the torque to overcome the
tightness.
larry lstein6@earthlink.net