My TR6 is haunted - part II

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: My TR6 is haunted - part II
From: Joe Merone <jmerone@rocketmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 11:00:44 -0700 (PDT)
My thanks to everyone who responded to me and the loud POP - SNAP situation
going on in the rear end area of my 1974 TR6.   The noise occurs when the car
is bounced up or down either while under way or just standing still.  Here's
the latest as I continue to chase the problem.

I put the car up on jack stands and placed a floor jack under the frame section
that meets the trailing arm.  Lift up slightly - SNAP.  Let it down - POP.
Removed the shock links and springs and tried again.  SNAP, POP.  The sound is
more noticeable coming from the outside one of the two trailing arm mounting
points.  Removed the bolts and disconnected the trailing arm - SILENCE.  Hmmm?

So I then removed the trailing arm brackets and inspected everything I could
see.  No broken bolts anywhere and no visible cracks in the frame.  The
brackets however have pushed the back rail of the frame box inwards a little
bit.  The frame area bows in a little as the brackets bow out to meet it where
they mount up.  Is this an acceptable concession to time and age?

My plan is to replace the old bushings and mounting hardware and try again.  I
never did like those Nylatron bushings anyway - they're too hard and they
squeak. Should I keep the old trailing arm mount brackets because they'll fit
up snug due to the frame rail situation I described above?  Or should I go with
new and straight ones since I'm in there anyway?

Thanks for the advice,

Joe Merone
South Burlington, VT
CF18928