confessionals (LONG)

To: "Triumphs" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: confessionals (LONG)
From: "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 12:01:56 -0400
Cc: "spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Since we started Monday a/m off with some bad "Do-Ahs" I'll take Doug F. off
the hook with a "Can-You-Top-This", while at TRF S.P. it was discovered I had
a bad case of blow-by in my new engine rebuild, made it home and found 2
cracked rings in # 4, pulled the head, pan, and pistons & sleeves, while
fitting the pistons yesterday as I turned the crank from 1 & 4 to 2 & 3 the
liner in # 4 raised all the way up, I finished tightening down on the rod
bearings then hammered the sleeve back in place, I know the book says these
liners must not  move once in place (what the heck does the author know),
reinstall ereverything and decide not to start it on Sunday since "she" is
home and if all does not go as planned I would ruin her day for sure, go into
the garage as soon as she leaves for work @ 6:45, prime the oil system through
the dist. until I have oil pressure, start the car and a glorious sound of a
new engine comes to life, 75 lbs of O/P and sounds very quiet, I let it idle @
2000 rpms until normal operating temp comes up and she stills sounds great,
turn it off after 15 minutes of running and decide to retorque the head and
valves, pull the valve cover and my oil is you guessed it "WHITE", yep the
figure 8 gasket in # 4 never reseated, that darn author knows what he writes
about (sleeves cannot move), guess what happens in my garage today, yep it all
has to come back out, heck of a way to end the month and start a new week.  I
vote this the # 1 C.Y.T.T" dummie of the week (probably the year also)  "FT"